Rachael's trip

Saturday, February 14, 2009

North Carolina Social Studies Conference

I went to the Social Studies Conference this week and was pleasantly surprised at how much fun I had working with the new and preservice teachers. What energy they bring with them! I remember how that felt and I must say, that just being around them gave me a pleasant boost for my own reserves.

I hope that they were able to take some of my information and use it for their own practice. As a 25 year veteran, I don't always feel like I am all that special. I just get in the classroom and survive. Maybe we teachers have be brow beaten so much by lawmakers, newsmakers and administrators that we believe them. I don't know. But, it was sure nice to get a postive shot in the arm from these young people.

One thing that I learned from this conference is that I love Social Studies. I figured out that is why kids like my class. They get that I am sharing something that I truly love with them. Kids respect that in their teachers.

If you haven't been to a conference in awhile, it is time that you do. Maybe you will get the shot in the arm that you are looking for. The NC Middle School conference is next month. I am really looking forward to that one now.

No comments: