Rachael's trip

Sunday, May 15, 2011

MR REPRESENTATIVE: A CHILD IS WORTH A CENT

This Tuesday, our county PTA/PTO organizations are holding a rally to convince our state legislators that we want to KEEP the one cent sales tax that is keeping education running at the moment. This is NOT a new tax but, an emergency measure that was added two years ago that expires in July. Without this sales tax, major cuts to education will occur. We have been paying this extra penny for two years now and quite frankly, we are accustomed to it. If you look at any economic reports, the most conservative economists say that the economy will not turn around until at least 2015. So, the extra penny tax should be renewed through July 1 of 2016. That should be long enough to get us through this economic down turn.

Now, let me explain to you about our representative. First of all, he is a republican who, for the most part, tends to run unopposed and has be "re-elected" several times. He comes from a relatively wealthy family and has never really had to work. However, he says he understands the working people of our district. From what I have seen lately, he is voting party lines and NOT for what is best for Caldwell County. 

I have contacted my state representative many times. He assures me that he will NOT vote for the new tax because the people of our county don't want it. So, we are reduced to holding a rally to prove to him that this isn't true.

Oh yes, I will be at the rally. I will speak my mind and hope that this stubborn man gets it. However, I don't think he will. We MUST remind our representative that he does have to answer to US. He works for US! Mr. Representative: A child is worth a cent!

No comments: