Rachael's trip

Thursday, July 1, 2010

Canada Day 5

Spent the day walking and watching the main city of Montreal. There is a unique blend of old and new in the downtown area. We started by walking to the corner grocery and buying some Canadian biere and coffee to bring home. Later, Rachael showed us an underground shopping mall. We ate lunch at McDonald's so that I could add another tray liner to my collection.

I know eating at McDonald's outside of the US sounds a little "off" but, I collect the tray liners and laminate them to hang on the walls of my classroom/office. I use these to teach geography. Kids can connect to a McDonald's tray liner because they have all been to McDonald's. I have them from several different countries now.

We wandered back through the jazz festival and bought a couple of souvenirs from the tents. Since it was mid-afternoon, the jazz festival was still going strong but it wasn't as crowded in the tents.

After dinner, we spent the rest of the night at the jazz festival listening to some incredible and unique bands. One was an eastern European big band style group and the other was a mixture of Native American and French. I loved them both.

au revoir à Montréal

No comments: