Rachael's trip

Friday, July 30, 2010

Plans and Prayers

There is an old joke about a man in a flood. He sits on his front porch as the waters rise - a row boat comes and offers him a ride. "God will take care of me" the man answers. A little while later he is sitting on the sill of a second story window - a motor boat comes and offers him a ride. "God will take care of me" the man answers. A few hours later he is sitting on the roof top - a helicopter comes by and offers him a ride. "God will take care of me" he answers. Later that evening he meets God in Heaven and asks "Why didn't you take care of me?" God answers "I sent two boats and a helicopter!"

I am feeling a bit like that man right now. I am supposed to go back to school for my doctorate in the fall but, things aren't falling into place. I am wondering if I am missing the boats and the helicopter. I had three stipulations that I set forth before going back:

  1. The house would be cleaned and reorganized (row boat?)
  2. I would hire a cleaning service to come in at least every three weeks (motor boat?)
  3. I was not going to pay my self - I want a grant or loan (helicopter?)
None of those things have happened. In the meantime, I keep running into other opportunities that have little or no cost that will help me to hone my craft. Am I thinking about retirement too soon? Does God have other plans for me? I have a feeling that I need to step back and listen.

No comments: