Rachael's trip

Monday, July 5, 2010

Fox News and the Founding Fathers

I don't pretend to be an expert, but, I am a Civics teacher and I DO have a history degree. Does Fox News scare anyone else like it scares me?

On one hand, I am proud to live in a country where people are allowed to express their opinions. People have the right to be as controversial as they please. On the other hand, I am concerned about the propaganda that is espoused by that network under the guise of conservatism. Glenn Beck scares the #$%% out of me. I sometimes feel that he is Goebbels reincarnated. I admit - he is a master manipulator - hmmmm just like the Nazis? Is that why he is so afraid of them?

I got to thinking this weekend about our Founding Fathers and Fox News. How would they have treated these men if they were around today. After all, Fox News is conservative - Loyalists were conservative - so using logic, Fox News would have been anti- revolutionary. After all isn't liberalism sometimes used as a synonym for revolutionary? I can hear Glenn Beck now ranting about George Washington showing up at the Continental Congress dressed in uniform. I am sure he would have been against such a display and obvious attempt for attention. isn't that liberal after all? Would that blonde chick be googling words like tyranny? Obviously she would "pretend" she doesn't understand what it means...like she pretends not to understand anything else...

Take the time to remember that our founding fathers stepped out of the box...gambled their lives, their fortunes, and their honor - which many of them lost. They were the radicals of their time. They took on the strongest military in the world and won. They were revolutionary - or is that liberal?

No comments: