Rachael's trip

Monday, June 28, 2010

Canada Day 2

What wonderful surprises we have found up north! In Pennsylvania we stopped at the Steam Town National Historical Site. It is a railway museum. I was really impressed with this relatively new National Park. If you are ever near Scranton, PA this place is definitely a must see. ESPECIALLY, if you love trains. I have decided that we so called "modern" Americans have missed out on the luxury of the Pullman cars. Wow, what a way to travel!!

On the passenger trains, service was the key...none of this hurry up and wait like in the airports. I guess this is why I like history...sometimes I feel as though I missed out on the simpler and more genteel America.



This evening we happened upon the neatest little town I think I have ever seen. I think this will be on the top ten "I want to go here when I redirect list". We went to a Brew Pub and had the local beer. (Do you see a pattern developing here?) The pub was right on Lake Ontario. We were able to drink our beer, have dinner, and look out on the lake. After dinner, we walked over to the Battlefield Park. Sackets Harbor is where the Americans built ships to fight the British in the War of 1812. Several skirmishes were fought there as the two nations raced to build ships and control Lake Ontario.

Sackets Harbor is a quaint little village that looks like it should be in a storybook. I have just fallen in love with the place. I bet I could live here..until the first big snow that is :) I am hoping to drop by and take a few pics tomorrow morning before we leave for Alexandria Bay.

No comments: